Objectives and Goals
- To establish and maintain an organization to promote and develop excellence in the practice of Geriatric Psychiatry.
- To maintain full association with general psychiatry through a formal relationship with the Canadian Psychiatric Association.
- To promote and participate in educational programs that foster good psychiatric care for older adults and promote their mental health. These include: working with academic institutions to develop, implement and evaluate standards of training for psychiatrists in Geriatric Psychiatry; and the organization of educational programs for members of the Academy and members of the Canadian Psychiatric Association.
- To provide a national forum and vehicle for the dissemination of scientific and clinical information in Geriatric Psychiatry through its newsletter and/or other publications.
- To promote research in Geriatric Psychiatry.
- To collaborate with relevant organizations and governmental bodies in the development of mental health care resources for the Canadian elderly population.
- Promote the development, dissemination, utilization and retrieval of best practices.
- To promote research in Geriatric Psychiatry and seniors mental health.
- Address human resource shortages in geri-psych (recruitment).
- Ensure that general psychiatry has the knowledge and skills to provide care.
- Influence attitudes/knowledge and skills of all future and current physicians in providing care.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to provide knowledge for the development of educational programs.
- CME for Geriatric Psychiatry a focus on creating educators.
- Public and policy education.
- Enhance profile
- Advocacy and Public Policy.